Penang Heritage Tip :: St. Xavier’s Institution

St Xavier’s Institution is a boys’ school (up to Form 5) in George Town, Penang, Malaysia, named after Saint Francis Xavier, the pioneering Christian missionary and co-founder of the Society of Jesus (Jesuit Order).

Founded by La Salle Brothera in 1852 with 80 pupils. The original building was destroyed in World War 2 when the allied nations bombed the school which has been used as the naval headquarters for the Imperial Army of Japan in December 1941.

The school was founded by the La Sallian brothers and as such, has traditionally been headed by a brother. But this tradition came to an end on 19 June 2009.

Among the prominent alumni is Lawyer Karpal Singh.

Location Map

GPS Coordinates: 5°25’14.59″N 100°20’12.11″E Geotag Icon Show on map